Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Insanity; Doing the Same Thing Over and Over and Expecting Different Results

Okay, I know I am not the sharpest crayon in the box, nor do I purport to be. However, I do consider myself fortunate to have a rational, functioning, (at what capacity is up for debate), brain. I have often pondered the old saying “ignorance is bliss”, and have come to the conclusion that it is; until it isn’t.

I want to ask America(ns), “are you sleeping?” and “what are you thinking?” Perhaps the answer is that most people aren’t thinking. Perhaps we have forgotten an essential principle necessary to life: “begin with the end in mind.”

Does it make sense that issues related to our health are determined by politics (i.e. “big brother”)? Is doesn’t make sense to me. Click here to read the M-W Dictionary definition of the word “politics”; part of which includes the following wording,--“political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practice”.

It’s time for America to wake up. If we don’t, we are in danger of repeating the same mistakes that were made in the 1976 Swine Flu outbreak. Read what Pennington (2009), an emeritus professor of virology at Britain's University of Aberdeen had to say about the 1976 outbreak: “I think 1976 provides an example of how not to handle a flu outbreak, but what's interesting is that it made a good deal of sense at the time.1

Insanity has been defined as “doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.” Political and financial gain appears to be the main motivation behind many decisions made by government. Ethics and actual concern for “the people” are, sadly, considered last, if at all.

Click here for another post I wrote in May of this year; The Swine Flu; All In Our Head?

Lest anyone reading this jump to conclusions that I am of one political persuasion or another,--I am not. I genuinely want the best for humankind. That is all.

1Harrell, Eben (2009).
How to Deal with Swine Flu: Heeding the Mistakes of 1976. Time.com.
Retrieved from:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1894129,00.html#ixzz0VqWJoeMv

No comments:

Post a Comment